In this week’s Status Report, Lead Producer Brian Hicks will let us in on the work currently being conducted on design, the engine, and the renderer as we have entered the new year. Promising things lie ahead, so stay tuned!
This Status Report comes a little bit later than normal due to the team getting back into the office, and people getting settled. We’re all focused on assessing the tasks ahead of us between here and beta – and prioritizing the when and how those larger engine changes will make their way to the consumer branch on Steam.
Over the last week as far as Steam goes – we’ve pushed a small update addressing some security issues, as well as merging over some pending filters changes for the New UI. Enough about that though – you all want to know whats going on with the under the hood type stuff – so lets get to that.
Keep in mind, we’re at the start of the year – so not too much content changes will be featured in this week’s Status Report, but we will be talking about DayZ’s underlying engine – and pending changes.
On the design side, Peter and his team have been focused on several awesome upcoming changes to DayZ, as well as addressing some nagging economy bugs that we’ve been able to nail down thanks to Feedback Tracker usage.
- Finalizing gameplay design for player constructed fortifications (tiers of walls/fences)
- Finalizing gameplay design for player constructed watch towers
- Complete audit of item category and tagging configuration (every spawnable item in game)
Over in the gameplay programming team, Mirek and crew have kicked off 2016 with the following tasks:
- Damage System implementation
- Central Hive/Servlet Package for DayZ Server tool
- Servlet & DayZ Server Modding Support
- Central Economy Region Control & Tools
- Expanding required fluids and parts for vehicles
- Extensive New UI bugfixing
- Cooperation w/ Design & Art on New UI skin prototype
- Optimization & Parallelization of Renderer
Straight from the mouth of Filip Doksansky, Lead Engine Programmer for Enfusion – the current renderer goals and progress are as follows:
- Ocean Rendering
- Post Processes
- Simulweather (True Sky) Implementation
- Detailed Terrain Shadows
- Dynamic Lights
- Optimization Pass
Internally we’re hoping to have our next .60 update out late next month. I don’t want to get any of you too hyped, but internally we’ve been observing outstanding client side performance (frame rate) with the new renderer technology. Paired with the performance increase of the New UI, and iteration upon the inventory and UI skinning – we’re *hoping* to see .60 be a hell of an update.
Please keep in mind as these systems are merged into test we could easily stumble across blocking issues, and we’ll continue to keep everyone appraised on the status of these if they arise.
DayZ Trello: https://trello.com/b/5yzeFpo2/dayz
Report Exploit/Bug Here: http://feedback.dayzgame.com
FOLLOW ON TWITCH: http://www.twitch.tv/septicfalcon
DONATE TO SUPPORT: https://www.twitchalerts.com/donate/septicfalcon
CHEAP GAME CODES: https://www.g2a.com/r/septicfalcon