- Bullet SDK physics is already in game. That allows players to throw items and such.
- Ragdoll relates to characters. There is no “ragdoll vehicles”, so anyone suggesting that implementation of ragdoll has use/impact on vehicles is mistaken.
- ArmA3 and DayZ do not use the same Physics SDK, so you should not expect that anything available in one is available in the other.
- Ragdoll will be applied for death animations initially. Once that is working, other options will be explored. Already in discussion: dragging, melee hits, falling, and unconsciousness as the current areas we might use ragdoll.
- This will be applied to all entities, which includes zombies, players, and animals. All objects are also covered by the Bullet SDK through throwing mechanics.
- The implementation of ragdoll has nothing to do with navmeshes, zombie AI.
- The Ragdoll implementation is a subset of the Bullet SDK implementation. It has involved challenging work to map the skeleton used in DayZ (which is very different from the skeleton used in ArmA, ArmA2, and ArmA3) to the bullet SDK and achieve results.
- No synchronization is done in the current build. I.e. each client comes to their own ragdoll conclusion. This is going to be worked on, however Dean is not overly concerned about it so the team pushed the programming team to go. He did this because he’s aware of many games which currently perform little or no ragdoll body synchronization and it’s okay. It will mean that sometimes clients record bodies falling in different positions.
March 28, 2014: Ragdoll at Rezzed Presentation
- Nearly functionally complete
- Based on “Bullet” physics lib
- Includes falling characters
- The future:
- Dragging unconcious/bodies
- Blended body injuries
Create a new entire base skeleton. The existing skeleton is ten years old. And it makes animating and skinning the model difficult, limiting what animators and artists can do. Don’t expect this new skeleton to be in the standalone on initial release but in the second half of the year mostly likely.
Create entirely new animations. More of a band-aid fix and can cause other problems. The development team is focused far more on removing transitions and allowing fast reaction to controls than on precision in the animations (source).
Implementing new physics middleware by the name of Bullet Physics SDK, which will eventually allow for realistic ragdoll and for items to fall and even roll on the ground.