DayZ Standalone: Performance tweaks
This command line is set in Steam. Right click on “DayZ”, go to property, then click on the option “Set commandline options”. This will help DayZ use the full amount of threads on a quad core cpu.
- -nosplash – removes the Bohemia Interactive splash page.
- -noPause – gets you into the game faster.
- -cpuCount=4 – set this to how many cores your CPU has.
- -maxMem=8192- set this to the total amount of RAM your system has, 2048 for 2GB, 4096 for 4GB
- -malloc=system – allow modern CPUs to allocate more ressource
The following tweaks were found online and really helped with getting my FPS higher. First off locate the below file under the below location.
C:UsersyournameDocumentsDayZDayZ.cfg and change the following options:
Save the file. Next up locate the following location:
Set the following options :
- mouseSmoothing=0; – Optimal. This should help sort out mouse acceleration problems
- sceneComplexity=150000; – This number affects your object details.
- shadowZDistance=100; – This is the distance at which shadows are drawn.
- viewDistance=1600; – This number affects the distance view (trees, grass etc…).
- preferredObjectViewDistance=1000; – This willaffects the distance that the objects will be drawn.
More Guides and Tips to increase your FPS
DayZ Standalone crash to Desktop on Launch / Startup
If DayZ Standalone randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
- Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers. Check our Technical References page for proper and official download links.
- Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes DayZ Standalone performance.
- Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the DayZ Standalone, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
- Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
- Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
- Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart DayZ Standalone
- Disable V-sync, restart DayZ Standalone
- Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
- In Windows 7 right-click the DayZ Standalone exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
DayZ Standalone Crashes right after pressing the ‘Play’ button
In Windows 7 go the DayZ Standalone installation folder, right-click the DayZ Standalone exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition.’ Then try running DayZ Standalone once more.
DayZ Standalone Crashes on Intel HD Graphics Card
Simply do a clean uninstall and reinstall of your Intel Graphics Driver. Check our Technical References page for proper and official downloads.
Remember that for arma and dayz mod in particular, many things are done on the client. In dayz Standalone they have moved nearly everything to the server. This smoothes out the FPS so it runs more in line with how your client runs with just the blank map now (source). The development team has performance issues with massive numbers of zombies and items on the server. But that’s why they’re doing the network bubble solution and will review situation after that (source). DayZ is not out because it is waiting for confirmation of core functionality relating to server architecture, specifically performance and security. Without this, they don’t believe testing is worthwhile. This work is largely done by two programmers (the two most experienced in the company) who are working very hard on that.
Everyone else, rather than sit around doing nothing, are continuing on the backlog of features. Things like DX11 and features from ArmA3 are reviewed to see if they can be ported across to DayZ. But none of those are stopping us releasing DayZ in the platform manor above (source).
Their aim is to make the UI as simple and streamlined as possible. Removing as many textures and unnecessary crap as possible to increase performance and reduce complexity. If there is to be complexity, they are saving that for functionality. Prettiness will not be part of the UI makeup. Far, far too many designs that are vastly complicated, don’t work in 4:3, or don’t work in 16:9, or don’t scale, or don’t work on a TV screen, or don’t work on a monitor.
Expect the UI system to get more functionality. Do not expect it to look “better”.” I would trade the prettiest UI in the world for one additional feature, if it came down to it.” said Dean. UI work does not just require a designer, it nearly always also requires a programmer. Usually an experienced one (source).
The network “bubble”
The implementation of the network bubble has largely been straightforward due to how the Network Manager was written. The main issue has been removal of what was left of the AIBrain, as it was governing how many things were handled even when a player was controlling the character (source).
They develop on separate branches, but we regularly merge. The network bubble is actually no big deal, as it turns out. The hard part of it is actually removing/refactoring existing code around the AIBrain, which is interlinked with all sorts of weird things relating to network updates. The programmer who is assigned, is Ondrej Spanel (who founded Bohemia with his Brother, Marek, over 15 years ago). He’s the author and architect of the engine, responsible for all the awesome multiplayer patches from A2, and he’s the one who rewrote the engine to provide a server/client architecture for DayZ, and just finished rewriting the damage simulation so that it only occurs on the server. Hence he’s moved onto network bubble.